How to Properly Clean Your Garage Door
You have invested a lot in your home. From the landscaping to the roof to the gorgeous siding, all aspects of your home represent you—and your garage door is no exception. Your garage door is the face of your home and should add beauty and value to your property.
Cleaning your garage door keeps it looking pristine, but it is also critical for proper functional maintenance. Caring for your garage door gives you a closer look at its surface, allowing you to catch potential problems such as dents or worn weatherstripping. Addressing these minor issues before they become catastrophes can extend your garage door’s lifespan. If you are wondering how to clean a garage door properly, your trusted garage door repair specialists have the answers.
What Are the Benefits of Cleaning Your Garage Door?
There are many benefits to washing your garage door. These include the following:
- Preserve your garage door’s finish
- Maintain your warranty
- Increase the curb appeal of your home
- Prevent rust
- Identify and address defects or damage
Below are the steps to clean your garage door safely and effectively.
The Cleaning Supplies You Need
Before cleaning your garage door, you must gather all the necessary supplies. You likely have most of these items on hand. These supplies include:
- Cleaning solutions. You want to use a mild detergent such as dish soap or car wash soap. Mix one cup of liquid soap with two gallons of water in a bucket.
- Non-abrasive sponges and clean cloths. Abrasive brushes and sponges can scratch the surface of your garage door, which can increase the risk of rust. Make sure you use soft rags to wash and dry the surface.
- A step ladder. Garage doors are tall, so reaching the top may be a challenge. A step ladder is perfect for cleaning those hard-to-reach areas.
How To Wash a Garage Door
Once you have your supplies, it’s time to get to work. Here are the steps to ensure your garage door gets squeaky clean while minimizing the risk of damage.
- Wipe down the garage door surface. To remove surface dirt and grime, begin by wiping the surface with a clean, damp cloth. Rub gently to avoid scratching the surface, as pebbles or hard fibers may be stuck to the door.
- Hose down the garage door. Once the surface is free of dust and grime, hose down the garage door. This will remove any remaining dirt or residue left after the initial wipe-down.
- Scrub the garage door using your cleaning solution. Start scrubbing your garage door with the soap and water mixture. You can use a little pressure to remove tough spots or caked-on dirt during this step.
- Scrub the weatherstripping and trim. These steps help prolong the life of your weatherstripping by removing grime and dirt that can eat away at the material. You can also check for signs of damage as you care for the trim.
- Finish with a thorough wipe-down. The last step is to remove the remaining moisture with a dry cloth. This will give your garage door a nice shine and prevent rust formation.
What Should I Look for During My Garage Door Cleaning?
When cleaning your garage door, check for visible signs of damage, such as dents, rust, aging weatherstripping, and gashes. If your garage door has signs of extensive wear, you should contact a reliable garage door specialist. The team at Action Garage Door can inspect your garage door, repair the damage, and return your garage door to a safe, functional state.
How Often Should I Clean My Garage Door?
You should clean your garage door and perform maintenance services as least twice a year. Regular cleaning and maintenance ensure that your garage door looks and operates optimally—and it can extend the lifespan of your garage door. Get the most out of your investment by contacting Action Garage Door today to schedule an appointment for garage door maintenance.
Garage Door Maintenance and Repair Services
Action Garage Door Repair Specialists is proud to serve the individuals of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, Austin, and Houston, Texas, areas. From residential garage doors to commercial garage doors, our team can handle it all. We can protect your investment with unparalleled garage door maintenance and repairs. Contact us to learn more about how to properly clean your garage door or schedule your garage door maintenance or repair service.